Search This Blog

Friday, April 5, 2013

My Hero



Yesterday, film critic and cultural icon Roger Ebert passed away after a long battle with cancer.

The man who gave America the "thumbs up/thumbs down" movie review really helped shape the way we view, and think about movies, and I for one owe so much of my love for, and understanding of, movies to this incredible writer and thinker.

Roger Ebert loved movies (even the ones he hated), and from him I learned that, no matter what you may think of a particular film, it has a place in our culture, it says something about who we are as a people, and to someone out there, it's the best movie ever.

I encourage you to read one of his reviews for the Chicago Sun-Times, his home newspaper for 46 years:

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/frontpage

Rest peacefully, Mr. Ebert, and may you have "months and months and months in a beautiful valley with honey and nectar and zephyrlike breezes."

No comments:

Post a Comment